Engineering Visit to Sizewell B Power Station Thursday 2nd April 2020
We are taking our Year 13 Engineering students to Sizewell B on Thursday 2nd April 2020. The objectives of this visit are for the students to explore the operation of thermal and water-cooled nuclear reactor power generation, and the design of the transmission and distribution infrastructure that supplies electricity to the national grid.
The cost of this visit is £6.50 per student, students will travel to and from Sizewell by coach, the coach will leave from One at 9:30am and return to the college in time for students to catch their usual mode of transport home.
There are no facilities to buy food at the site, so students will need to bring enough food and drink for the day.
In accordance with EDF security protocol when visiting the site, please note the following:
- Each visitor over the age of 16 years will require photographic ID for access via security. An ‘in-date’ European passport or UK photo driving licence will need to be taken along on the day. If you do not have either of the above, please see attached information regarding alternative forms of ID.
- ALL visitors will be searched by a security guard on entering the Station.
- Visitors are required to wear sensible flat, secure boots or trainers with a grip on the sole and this must cover the whole foot. Legs and arms must be covered; all visitors need to wear full-length trousers and a top with full-length sleeves. A warm coat is also essential, as Sizewell can be cold and windy during the winter months.
- All visitors should bring the minimum in terms of personal affects (bags, cases etc.).
- All bags will be searched and need to be left in small lockers during the tour.
- No mobile phones, cameras or other electronic devices are allowed on site.
- The tour is physical (approx. 1.6 miles of walking, 190 steps and high platforms).
Please return parental permission slip directly to the Finance Office (G104) between the hours of 9.00am-1:15pm by Friday 6th March 2020